October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. It is a yearly campaign that intend educate people about the importance of early screening, test and more. This campaign starts on October 1 and ends on October 31 every year. It is organized by major breast cancer charities every October to increase awareness of the disease and to raise funds for research into its cause, prevention, diagnosis, treatment and cure. The campaign also offers information and support to those affected by breast cancer.
According to the latest statistics breast cancer affects 1 in 8 women worldwide.Breast cancer is the most frequently occurring cancer in women worldwide and mortality has been greatly reduced in the recent years, which is mainly attributable to diagnosis of the disease at an earlier stage, as well as the progress in therapeutic approach.
Alma Zois serves this purpose in Greece.
Life with quality!
Hellenic Association of Women with Breast Cancer “Alma Zois” is a non-profit organization founded in 1988 by breast cancer survivors.
Its uniqueness lies in the fact that all the members, volunteers and members of the Board are breast cancer survivors.
Association’s vision is every breast cancer patient in Greece to have full psychosocial support and information on all matters concerning her health, career and life.
Moreover, every woman in Greece to be aware of breast cancer as well as of the importance and methods of early detection.
More specific, the Association wants to
• eliminate the ignorance about the disease and how to prevent it.
• patients have appropriate support and information.
• Their message reaches every corner of Greece, to every woman who is worried or is going through her own fight with breast cancer.
• Peer Support
• Psychosocial Support to woman with breast cancer and her family members
• Informing women nationwide about breast cancer, ways of prevention and early diagnosis
• Informing women with breast cancer about their rights (insurance, benefits, labor rights)
• Claiming quality patients care
We are very happy for supporting the vision of Alma Zois with our breast cancer awareness bracelet. We try to spread the message of this great Association.
Photos by: Angiola Harry, Anna Tarazevich, Sydney Rae, National, Cancer Institute